Christian registrar wins employment battle with Islington Co

All the Latest Gay News and Politics that effect you!

Christian registrar wins employment battle with Islington Co

Postby GaySurrey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:07 pm

A Christian registrar who was threatened with the sack because of her religious beliefs on same sex unions has succeeded in her claims of unlawful discrimination by Islington Council.

In its unanimous judgment, the employment tribunal found that Lillian Ladele was directly discriminated against by the council after she asked to be allowed not to perform civil partnership registrations.

Islington Council cared too much about the rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual community, the panel ruled.

It showed 'no respect' for Miss Ladele's rights as an orthodox Christian and gave her an ultimatum to choose between her beliefs and her £31,000-a-year job, which she held for nearly 16 years.

Gino Meriano Founder of Pink Weddings and gay rights campaigner for same sex families says “this is an outrage. It’s not about bullying or religious beliefs it’s about bringing the church into statutory duties, if Miss Ladele had such a problem with performing Civil Partnerships because of her faith and with the move in modern times and the inclusion of the Civil Partnership Act then the natural course of action would have been to resign and join a church as a celebrant. The process is very clear and the courts have made a bad judgement and may well cause a major problem across the UK in ruling such a ridiculous conclusion. This must be contested and further action taken. It is time we looked at finally separating church from state.

The Central London tribunal's landmark ruling that employees cannot be required to act against their consciences has implications for the 18,000 same-sex ceremonies conducted nationwide each year.

Council chiefs had insisted it would give the wrong message if Miss Ladele was exempted.

But the tribunal accepted the claims that Islington Council had been able to deliver a "first-class" service to homosexual couples seeking civil partnerships, without Miss Ladele's involvement.

The judgment found that the council "disregarded and displayed no respect for Ms Ladele's genuinely held religious belief," and it created an "intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her on grounds of her religion [or] belief."

In coming to their conclusion, the tribunal said, "It is an important case which may have a wider impact than the dispute between the parties."

Speaking after the case, Miss Ladele said: "I am delighted at this decision. It is a victory for religious liberty, not just for myself but for others in a similar position to mine.

"Gay rights should not be used as an excuse to bully and harass people over their religious beliefs.”
Gay Surrey Team
GaySurrey

Re: Christian registrar wins employment battle with Islington Co

Postby Gino » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 pm

It seems that we have some great news

Islington Council will appeal this ruling and fight this injustice

We as a chairty will follow this case and support Islington Council in their aims to succeed
Gino

Postby Gino » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

A civil registrar who claimed her Christian belief is so fundamental that she cannot not conduct civil partnerships is an unmarried single mother.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Lillian Ladele also revealed that her relationship with the father of her son has "collapsed."

During an employment tribunal Ms Ladele, 47, who was born and raised inNigeria, claimed that she was discriminated against by Islington Council on the grounds of her religious belief.

She told the Mail that she gave birth to an illegitimate son when she was 20.

"I would never claim to be perfect," she said.

The revelation has led to accusations that she was not properly cross-examined at the tribunal about the nature of her religious faith - details of her extra-marital sexual activities only came to light at the weekend.

The tribunal's judgement read:
"Ms Ladele is a Christian. Her unchallenged evidence was that she holds the orthodox Christian view that marriage is the union of one man and one woman for life to the exclusion of all others and that marriage is the God-ordained place for sexual relations.

"She could not reconcile her faith with taking an active part in enabling same-sex unions to be formed.

"She told us that she believed this to be contrary to God's instructions that sexual relations belong exclusively between a man and a woman within marriage."

Ms Ladele told the Mail that while working as a registrar in Islington she told her superiors: "I would not be able to conduct civil partnerships because it states in the Bible that marriage occurs between a man and a woman, not people of the same sex, and, as a Christian, I try to follow what the Bible teaches.
"I’m not homophobic. I’ve never had a problem with gay people or their lifestyle.

"My issue was purely that I did not want to be the one to facilitate same-sex civil partnerships because I do not agree with them."

The Christian Institute financed Ms Ladele's case. The tribunal ruled that she was unlawfully discriminated against because of her religion.
It also found that Islington council failed to apply its anti-discrimination policies to gay colleagues who were mistreating her, failed to stop bullying against her and labelled her homophobic.

The tribunal also accepted that Islington Council had been able to deliver a "first-class" service to homosexual couples seeking civil partnerships, without Miss Ladele's involvement.

Therefore, the Council's decision to require Miss Ladele to perform civil partnership registrations, contrary to her conscience, was an unlawful act of indirect religious discrimination.

The Council's actions also amounted to unlawful harassment.

The judgment found that the Council "disregarded and displayed no respect for Ms Ladele's genuinely held religious belief," and it created an "intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for her on grounds of her religion on belief."
Ms Ladele told the Mail why she enjoys working as a registrar:

"As a Christian, I loved being able to help people, to talk to them when they needed advice, it's what my religion is all about and I think I have a lot of empathy."
Gino

Postby Trevor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 am

Do you feel that Registrars should perform their public duty on civil partnerships or resign"?

The registration service is a public secualr service and "religion" has no place there

Support us : http://www.facebook.com/n/?group.php&gid=20170422461
Trevor

Return to News & Politics